Pages

Saturday 11 February 2012

Start 'em young....


THE young car nut I met earlier this morning took a particularly keen interest in my choice of wheels.

A woman got talking to this morning with a bit of a history of working in the motor industry - she now works for Isuzu, and can count stints with TVR and Multipart among her previous jobs - introduced me to her son, who was obviously keen to follow in the family footsteps and develop a passion for cars and motoring.

He took a look out at the window, clocked the little blue sports car I'd arrived in, and started with the obvious question.

"What is your car?"

"It's a Mazda" I replied. "A Mazda MX-5."

His eyes lit up with excitement. "Wow!" he commented gleefully. "An MX-5!"

I was, to be honest, flattered that a fellow petrolhead approved of my taste in small, affordable, rear-wheel-drive roadsters, so I decided to return the compliment by asking him the question I always get asked. What, I wondered, was his favourite car?

He paused for a moment and smiled. "BMW".

"Which BMW?" I asked.

"The yellow and black one!"

I wasn't expecting that one. Unless Munich's most famous motor maker has announced a collaboration with JCB or has a wasp-inspired new racing livery, I wasn't aware of any BMWs which are particularly famous for being yellow and black.

Not that I minded, though. The car enthusiast in question was three years old after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment