Pages

Friday 11 June 2010

A car I'm not cool enough to understand

FORGET the Fiat 500, and make sure the MINI's up for sale, because it's official. The coolest car in the world is the Citroen DS3.

Not my words, naturally, but those of Stuff magazine, who've just declared the feisty French hatchback with the funny floating roof as one of just fifteen things funky enough to make its annual hall of fame. Chosen not by fusty motoring hacks, but style gurus who know who Jay Zed is.

Tellingly, it's the only car on their list.

Curious to find out more, I asked Citroen to let me have a spin in their now officially cool DS3. They said no on the basis of me being too young; frustrating, given I'm exactly the sort of impatient twentysomething prat the company's targeting it at. They did let me try out the C3, which is basically the same car but in a frumpy, five-door dress, and from these impressions alone reckon its sportier sister is going to be a big hit with anyone looking for a successor to the old Saxo VTS. It's a fun little thing to hurl about in.

But driving's got nothing to do with it, because even though the C3's an accomplished little thing you might as well be driving around in William Hague. The people from Stuff don't give a stuff unless your car matches the exact, indefinable criteria the DS3 does, which is why I still want to drive one of those instead of being fobbed off with a mumsy shopping car. I just want to know why it's cool and another car that's technically identical isn't.

Anyone who's ever owned a Peugeot 309 GTi - which has always lurked in the shadow of the iconic 205 GTi despite being almost identical underneath - will know what I mean, and I still can't see any logical reason why you'd make a beeline for the Fiat 500 after dismissing the much roomier and equally nice-to-drive Panda. It's not even a problem isolated to cars; I've just bought a Nokia N97 because it's a brilliant little phone, but everyone else ignores it in favour of the iPhone, which is Cool Central. Cool doesn't make sense. I don't understand.

I end this week by stating the obvious - I am not cool. Not even slightly. But if someone lets me borrow a Citroen DS3 for a day or two, I'll at least be able to work out why.

1 comment:

  1. I note the comment on driving a C3 was like driving around in William Hague.

    Mon dieu, methinks they gave you the wrong C3. I am now driving C3 number 2. It is the 16 valve diesel Exclusive model. To say it is a little sporty would be understated. It is a little pocket rocket, with all mod cons.

    However, go further down the range, and due to a Citroën dealer unable to fix an annoying fault at one time, I had the experience to road testing various C3's. Compared to the above model the petrol versions seem to fall asleep after first gear. The 8 valve diesels have a lot more go in them, have a noticeable difference, but struggle a bit on hills. The 16 valve version is the one, if you want a C3 at its best. Plenty of poke, and flies up hills.

    David, get them to give you one of those.

    ReplyDelete